Vacation can be a tricky thing for those of us trying to stay in shape in the meantime. Do you completely cut loose and enjoy an exercise/vegetable free week? Or stay rigorous to meet your weight loss goals? Its easy to want to throw all your goals out the window and just relax. I get it.
It really doesn’t have to be one way or the other. You CAN have the homemade fudge (because believe me, I did!) AND squeeze in a workout on vacation! Just because you’re in a touristy-city for the week and supposed to be relaxing and having fun does NOT mean you can’t also meet your goals.
Shane, Grayson and I vacationed earlier this month in one of our favorite spots, Blowing Rock, NC. We’ve both been coming here periodically since we were little, and now we wanted Grayson to get the full experience too.
Here are some ways I enjoyed my vacation without worrying about gaining 10 lbs:
- Get your workout in first thing in the morning. Perfect example: on our first full day of vacation, I slept in and had a slow, enjoyable morning (no regrets!) and then we ventured out into town, had a nice long lunch, and explored the town all afternoon. I knew a storm was probably coming that evening, so I wanted to get a run in our neighborhood before it started raining. Lo and behold, I got my workout gear on, grabbed my headphones, and the bottom fell out. Go figure! We got a HUGE storm and it rained so hard we couldn’t even see the mountain that was right in front of us. My planned run turned into a leg workout with my glute bands that I brought with me.
When you get your workout in first thing, not only can you enjoy the rest of your day however you want without having to worry about making time, planning activities around it, or potentially accidentally missing it, but you’ll be burning calories even during your rest periods the rest of the day! Win, win, win situation in my opinion!
These don’t have to be long, intense gym workouts, either. A walk on the beach ids a great way to incorporate movement into your vacation time (and sometimes walking on sand can be a tough workout itself!), or getting in a 12 minute HIIT workout in your hotel room can also be all you need!
- If you aren’t in a hotel with a fitness room, bring glute bands with you! Mine come in a tiny bag, and take up less space than a week’s worth of underwear. Resistant bands, a jumprope, and furniture sliders (or in my case, microfiber towels!) are also very easy to bring with you! Leave the dumbbells and kettle bells at home.
- Pick your poison. Let’s be real… we’re all foodies and wanna eat lavishly like kings during your vacation. Isn’t that what it’s all about…?
If you want to go all out and throw your diet out the window for a week, enjoy yourself. But if you have weight loss goals you’ve been working towards, there ARE ways to have your abs and eat cake too.
My best advice on this is to pick you poison. The top 3 ‘offenders’ are appetizers, desserts, and drinks. If you know you’re dying for a certain appetizer, dessert or drink, skip the other two. Any of these can easily pack 500-1600 calories. If you’ve ever tracked macros, you know that could be your whole day’s worth! But really, indulge! Enjoy yourself! Life isn’t meant to be strict ALL the time. Get the dessert. Get the homemade fudge or salt water taffy. Order the mimosa on the beach. Just be mindful of your portions.
- When you get to your destination, head straight for the grocery store. Nowadays with AirBNB and in most hotels, you can still have a full kitchen on vacation, or at least a fridge and microwave. If you know you’ll be eating out for lunch and dinner, pick up some healthy breakfasts to start your day off right.
- Just have fun. Forget about tracking your macros for a week and let your hair down. Vacation is a time to destress, and play is SO GOOD for your health. If you truly relax to the fullest, you’re sure to come home rested, rejuvenated, and ready to jump back into your normal routine. You can skip a couple workouts during vacation and still come home with the same momentum as when you left, or maybe even more! Trust me on this. Don’t be so rigid and just enjoy yourself!